Storing items away when they’re not in use seems like a wise thing to do, but how much of what you are storing is junk you can either donate or throw away? Reconsider those stored items using some simple, easy-to-follow steps:
1. Gather your junk from each room or furniture piece into one starting pile.
2. Immediately pick out all of the trash – old receipts, paper, packaging leftovers, old boxes, anything you don’t need.
3. Find the items that already have a home…are there CDs that can go into a CD case, or maybe some pencils to put in your office desk or kids’ room?
4. Group similar items together. If you have duplicates, or haven’t used items in over a year, consider donating them, selling them in a garage sale, or simply tossing them.
5. Your remaining items should be items you plan to use within the next year – pack them up in boxes that are clearly labeled to make spotting your stuff easy when you need to snag a box.
Fast, easy steps to take to get less cluttered in Spring 2012. Still need more storage? We understand, and that is exactly why Better Built is always here to help provide quality structures that are as nice to look at as they are practical. Need some more tips on how to de-clutter before you wrap things up and prep for warm weather? We’re liking these additional easy tips: http://unclutterer.com/2009/02/17/instructions-for-decluttering-your-home-in-less-than-500-words/